Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Oldies but Goodies

I had a special time with Lord today and would like to share with you what happened. My time this morning was not actually in the Word, but what I got immersed in was a wonderful hymn called The Church's One Foundation written by Samuel J. Stone and the music by Samuel S. Wesley. I hope you know this hymn because it is in the category of an "Oldie, but Goodies."  I play a little guitar, but I am not very good so I don't usually allow myself to play in front of people. However, I believe that however you choose to honor God and with whatever gifts or talents, no matter how small; is sweet to the ears of our Lord and Savior. He doesn't hear this missed note, or the wrong chord, or the voice we are sure sounds like it really should be singing Away over Yonder(when you are privileged to have someone ask you to sing this other Oldie, best make sure they are not meaning that literally, like way over there). Forgive me for digressing again.  I think God hears the most beautiful music, voice, poetry, praises etc that his child, you, could ever give to Him because your heart is in the right place.
This morning I was just playing the melody of the hymn because I don't read music and don't know the chords, but I don't think God minded because of the focus of my heart and not the perfection of my playing. As I was playing I was reading the verses of this wonderful old hymn over and over and was really blessed for the time spent doing this. These old hymns are the rock bed of the church and should never be forgotten or laid to rest because they are not modern enough to bring in more people or attract more young people who lean towards newer music and praise songs. I love all of it, but I am so happy
to be worshiping a church where we have both!
I played and read the words over and over and thought to myself you don't write like this unless your relationship with the Lord is real and The Holy Spirit is just flowing out of you. The words of this hymn are beautiful yes, but they are profoundly deep as they tell the story of how anchored we are to God. Please allow me to take you on a nice calm gondola ride down this peaceful river as I describe what these words mean to me.

In the first verse, it says the Church's one foundation is Jesus Christ her Lord. Notice if you will, if says one foundation, not many, only one and that is Jesus,  Next, she is her new creation, by the water and the Word. The Church is us and we are His new creation.  By water and the Word... we are baptized by water which means that we want to make a public declaration that we have been saved and that the Word of God dwells richly in us. Next, From heaven he came and sought her, to be His holy bride.  From heaven...who lives in heaven..God. He came and sought her...God came down to earth...Jesus came down. God became flesh and sought to seek his holy bride..His church. John 1-14). His holy bride and that means the church. Wait a minute. I am a sinner and I go to church, but I am also being sought by Jesus too as part of the believers that make up His church. If Jesus calls His church holy and I am part of the church, then that must make me holy. It does, but not because of anything we do, but only by His grace and mercy. We continue with his own blood He bought her, and for her life He died. Wow. This is why preachers, and pastors, other godly men who have been gifted as such can so beautifully proclaim the depth of God's riches with very few verses of God's word in a particular passage. Heretofore, I often have read fast, but not deep. Let's look at these last few words more closely also.

With His own blood He bought her...why did God become flesh in the form of Jesus...to give his blood(life) for the payment of the sins of the whole world; past, present, and future. He was the once and for all payment for the penalty of sin that we all have and He was the perfect sacrifice, the perfect Lamb of God, ..no sin nature because he was born of a Virgin.  And for her(the church..us) He died . Wow, the whole beautiful good news of the bible in one verse of this famous Oldie, The Church's One Foundation.

Can you see how close to God the writers of the words and music of this hymn must have been to God.  I  am betting it is worth way way more than anything our glamorous icons of this present age, be they male or female with all of their millions made from the proceeds of gold or platinum etc, who aren't seeing what the writers of this hymn knew was more valuable, and because they knew who they were writing about,  they chose to honor him with their talents. Please don't think I am talking about the various sundry Christian artists who are on fire for God. I am talking about the non-believers who only change the world a, short time through fads, and groupies, but miss the chance to know the one who changes lives now and forever. Thank you Lord for helping me see the wisdom which only comes from You and helping me to seek You more and more each day.

Well, the depth of this oldie goes on and on and talks about how we can know God in the morning, in the evening, and that we the Church, can be at rest till He comes back for us. I encourage you to please, please, read this hymn and other ones that are you favorites and rest in the peace as well as the excitement that these Godly men and women of old have shared with us. I love to sing them, but I love to live them more and that is my prayer for you. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment